Monday, July 15, 2013

Now What Will You Do?

The Black World’s Postscript to Zimmerman’s Acquittal

The Reminder. Last night Black America (and Black Canada, and Black Mexico, and Black China, and Black Africa and Black Everybody Else) was given a reminder by whites that they have no intention of conducting themselves in a civilized and just manner. Over the past year we witnessed Eurobarbarity from all whites involved… from the triggerman (George Zimmerman), to the witnesses who sat in their houses on the phone listening as Trayvon was being murdered, to the police who would not arrest him, to the defense attorneys who put Trayvon Martin on trial, to the prosecuting attorneys who continue to insist that “race has nothing to do with it”, to the media who gave credence to Zimmerman’s ridiculous defense, to the millions of people who sent Zimmerman hundreds of thousands of dollars, to the jury who wrapped up the entire farce and put a bow on it.

Next Steps for the Champion. A week ago it began to appear that Zimmerman would walk. Black ministers throughout parts of Florida and major cities nationally were being approached by “law” enforcement officials and asked to sign agreements that they would work to quell any violence that might erupt as a result of the verdict. Why in a free country would we expect people to react with violence to a fair and just legal process? We wouldn’t. The reality is that this country is not free and its “legal” processes are neither fair nor just.

I have seen several Tweets and Facebook status updates of Zimmerman’s home address with instructions such as “you know what to do.” Now I am not going to advocate violent actions such as burning down the homes of Zimmerman’s defense team. I would not be the one to suggest poisoning any jury members. To do so would be irresponsible on my part. I certainly wouldn’t take the law in to my own hands and do unto Zimmerman as he did unto Trayvon Martin. I am not skilled in such things. If, however, some ambitious conqueror armed with righteous rage were to take it upon himself to champion such a cause… I would understand. Dr. Francis Cress Welsing reminds us of this most basic law of nature, that self-respect is the foundation of justice. Therefore people denied recourse for just grievances through man’s laws, will revert to this most basic law of nature and they will acquire justice for themselves.

Next Steps for the Rest of Us. Now, I am torn; and if you are like me, you may be torn too. I am just a pointy-head intellectual who reads too much. I am not that warrior. I am not suited to the task of getting my hands dirty in the pursuit of justice. What can I do? I’ve given this a great deal of thought and I have made two commitments. You may consider doing something similar. First, I have committed to building a safe all-Black space in my field of practice. Integration has put Black people in close and constant proximity to whites. Consistently without break, whites use that proximity to abuse us. In my field of education, they handcuff 6-year-old girls for crying in school.[1] They mis-label and mis-educate Black boys.[2] They charge Black youth with felonies for trifling infractions that any school-age youth is bound to commit.[3] Second, I have committed to financially supporting an educational organization run by Blacks and committed exclusively to improving the Black community by working exclusively with Black children. I give non-Blacks more than enough time in the 60+ hours I work every week. I give them more than enough money when I pay my bills, when I pay my taxes, when I pay for my very existence. The least I can do is to give what’s left to my people. What will you do?



Jomo W. Mutegi is a husband and father committed to the improvement of the African world community, an author of science-related children’s books, and an Associate Professor of Science Education. To learn more about Jomo’s children’s books, visit www.JomoMutegi.com. To learn more about Dr. Mutegi’s research visit www.ES2RP.org.



[1] See Salecia Johnson at Creekside Elementary School in Georgia. See also Desre'e Watson at Avon Elementary School in Florida.
[2] See any one of several Schott Foundation reports or just talk to a school-age Black adolescent.
[3] We profiled one such instance on a prior episode of The Woodson Files.

No comments:

Post a Comment